Re: Documentation for alternate names of functions

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daniel Cory <dcory(at)tableau(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation for alternate names of functions
Date: 2018-09-04 21:36:59
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 2:17 PM, Daniel Cory <dcory(at)tableau(dot)com> wrote:

> Can we document that “pow” is the same as “power”? It is not listed on
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-math.html, even
> though both “ceil” and “ceiling” are listed.
>
> For aliased function names for which only one is SQL standard we should
denote which one. This particular alias seems worthy of inclusion.

> Can we document “int4larger” and related functions? They are similar to
> the greatest/least functions but not listed on https://www.postgresql.org/
> docs/current/static/functions-conditional.html#FUNCTIONS-GREATEST-LEAST

I don't see the point of exposing this implementation detail when the
greatest/least expressions (i.e., they don't appear under \df), though
non-standard, are what users are encouraged to use. Not sure we'd turn
down a patch but its not something I'd expect to get picked up in a timely
fashion.

David J.