Re: Seeking practice recommendation: is there ever a use case to have two or more superusers?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bryn Llewellyn <bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general list <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Seeking practice recommendation: is there ever a use case to have two or more superusers?
Date: 2022-11-21 23:31:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 4:05 PM Bryn Llewellyn <bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com> wrote:

> I believe that the fact that a superuser's ability to start a session can
> be limited by what the "hba_file" says is critical here—together with the
> fact that the ability to edit this file is governed by the regime of O/S
> users and file privileges. Maybe this is the key to the effectively
> tamper-proof implementation of the scheme that David recommends. (Having
> said this, there's always the "set role" backdoor.)

If you are worried about back-doors here you gave the wrong people
superuser. That may be unavoidable, but this scheme really isn't about
bullet-proofing security. It's about ease of administration and knowing
just who all has permission do what on a server by inspecting its role
table.

Yes, you should lock-down pg_hba.conf to avoid other people without
superuser from being able to easily hack into the system using one of these
accounts (admittedly, a decent reason to limit how many there are, but all
of them should be equally/maximally secure so it isn't that strong an
argument).

David J.