Re: "Comparison of Different Solutions"

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "Comparison of Different Solutions"
Date: 2017-09-27 02:11:46
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Jaime Casanova <
jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 31 May 2017 at 03:40, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> >
> > In "26.1 Comparison of Different Solutions", nothing is mentioned with
> > logical replication. I think the section is the biggest picture for
> > all high availability, load Balancing, and replication solutions in
> > the docs
>
> actually i wonder why Logical Replication is chapter 31 instead of
> being in this same chapter

​The original complaint has been addressed with a blurb and a
cross-reference.

As for keeping separate the new logical replication docs from the
long-standing physical replication docs​ I don't see any particular
problem. My understanding is that the former is whole-database and serves
more of an administrative capability (backups, high-availability) for the
server, while the later, despite having to be configured by the server
admin, plays more of an application role.

David J.