Re: reindexing db

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reindexing db
Date: 2020-12-08 02:27:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Monday, December 7, 2020, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com> wrote:

> > On Dec 7, 2020, at 6:00 PM, David G. Johnston <
> david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 5:45 PM Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Does reindexdb --concurrently skip over indexes for exclusion
> constraints, or reindex them separately without the concurrently option?
> The docs for reindexdb simply point one to the reindex docs for the caveats
> of concurrently, where that restriction is mentioned.
> >

> > The REINDEX page says:
> >
> > "Furthermore, indexes for exclusion constraints cannot be reindexed
> concurrently. If such an index is named directly in this command, an error
> is raised. If a table or database with exclusion constraint indexes is
> reindexed concurrently, those indexes will be skipped. (It is possible to
> reindex such indexes without the CONCURRENTLY option.)"
>
> That is the sentence I was referring to, but it does not answer my
> question about what reindexdb does--whether it simply calls REINDEX
> DATABASE ..., or has logic to deal with this.

From reindexdb:

reindexdb is a wrapper around the SQL command REINDEX
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-reindex.html>. There is no
effective difference between reindexing databases via this utility and via
other methods for accessing the server.

Use the CONCURRENTLY option. See REINDEX
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-reindex.html>, where all the
caveats of this option are explained in detail.

So, if it doesn’t behave identically I’d call that a documentation bug as
the docs seem clear that it does.

David J.