Re: BUG #14841: Remove TIME WITH TIME ZONE type

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: edpeur(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #14841: Remove TIME WITH TIME ZONE type
Date: 2017-10-03 19:50:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 12:35 PM, <edpeur(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference: 14841
> Logged by: Eduardo Perez
> Email address: edpeur(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
> Operating system: All
>
> Please, remove support for the TIME WITH TIME ZONE type as there are no
> valid use cases for it and being available only calls for its misuse. By
> removing it you may allow people to fix their applications.
> https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/187351/what-is-a-
> valid-use-case-for-using-time-with-time-zone

​Actually, removing it would FORCE people to fix their applications; people
are already allowed to fix their own applications.

In any case this isn't a bug report - the software is working exactly as
designed and, furthermore, to the letter of the specification to which it
attempts to conform.

The only thing I'd consider, if I felt mis-use of this was pervasive, would
be converting the plain sentence on this topic to a callout "Note" to
emphasize the risk. The risk of making standard-conforming theoretically
broken applications actually broken outweighs removing a marginal foot-gun.

David J.