Re: BUG #14152: pg_dump does not take into account previous versions reserved keywords as column names

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #14152: pg_dump does not take into account previous versions reserved keywords as column names
Date: 2016-05-20 18:59:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> "David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 2:02 PM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >> pg_dump and pg_dumpall are supposed to be able to dump all supported
> prior
> >> versions, thats the documented procedure for updating... I contend
> this
> >> *is* a bug. quote-all-identifiers is a workaround, for sure.
>
> > If indeed the prescribed procedure is quote-all-identifiers I'd say we
> > should at least update the docs.
>
> Yeah, agreed. I'll put something in.

​I'd hit up the "Notes" section's last paragraph in addition to the
command-line option. The former is going to be much more visible. The
cross-version dynamic possibly warrants it own section header, IMO, given
that it is a primary use case for the tool.​ Consider placing it
subsequent to the Description section - maybe calling it "Upgrades".

Alternatively, we could automatically turn on quote-all-identifiers when
> dumping from a server of a different major version; but I imagine we'd
> get complaints about that, too, since it's so seldom an issue.

True, the volume of people using even potentially reserved words as
identifiers is not all that high. Given fail-fast behavior, and a
reasonable pointer to overcoming it, catering to this minority doesn't seem
worth disrupting the status quo; even in this limited fashion.

​David J.​