Re: vacuumdb maintenance-db??

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net>
Cc: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuumdb maintenance-db??
Date: 2022-11-09 22:25:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 3:12 PM Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net> wrote:

> I always drop the postgres database; no need for it; and I also drop the
> public schema too. I usually use a database name that corresponds to the
> given project.

I don't see the point of going to that effort - I'd rather just make the
defaults remain available and ensure they are only accessible to the
bootstrap superuser via the cluster owner. That way you don't have to
document your special environment for the next DBA that assumes "sudo -U
postgres psql" is just going to work (and have a schema sitting there
waiting for them to quickly do whatever semi-permanent stuff they are
doing).

I would not want my production databases used for "maintenance purposes".
And using template1 as the maintenance database seems like a poor choice as
well; too easy to make a mistake that will show up next time you perform
CREATE DATABASE.

David J.