Re: permission denied (even when run as postgres) for views after making their owner nosuperuser

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: permission denied (even when run as postgres) for views after making their owner nosuperuser
Date: 2018-01-26 14:42:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 7:32 AM, Achilleas Mantzios <
achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com> wrote:

> In fact, there is no way on earth I can regain access to view
> fuser.testforfu for any user (postgres included) unless I change its
> ownership (or make fuser a superuser).
>
> is this normal? documented? Am I missing anything?

​When dealing with views the owner of the view is performing all of the
queries. So if you make the view owner lack permission to access the
underlying tables the view isn't going to work no matter the permissions of
the view caller.

Documented here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-createview.html

"Access to tables referenced in the view is determined by permissions of
the view owner."

David J.