Re: Undocumented array_val[generate_series(...)] functionality?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Undocumented array_val[generate_series(...)] functionality?
Date: 2021-07-12 14:42:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday, July 12, 2021, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Still, I'm with David that no new docs
> are needed. IMO the former restriction was the surprising thing, and
> the current behavior is simply what one would expect from assembling
> those parts in that order.

I agree the material in Extending SQL - SQL Functions, plus normal
expectations, mean that we do indeed cover the topic sufficiently. The
location and specifics of the material and use of cross-references could
use some attention though its also not an area that gets too many questions
so people are figuring this all out one way or another (or not finding a
need and just don’t know what they are missing…)

It doesn’t really fit that well in a syntax chapter since the calling
syntax is indeed the same. But the Queries Chapter is where I was looking
this past time (I knew about and read the SQL Functions Chapter previously
but didn’t get there is this skim).

David J.