Re: variable value in array_to_string

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Armand Pirvu (home)" <armand(dot)pirvu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: variable value in array_to_string
Date: 2016-11-21 22:26:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Armand Pirvu (home) <armand(dot)pirvu(at)gmail(dot)com
> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there anyway I can pass a variable in the array_to_string function ?

​Yes, just like you can pass variables to any other function.​..

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test1 () RETURNS void AS $$
> ​​
> DECLARE
> foo text;
> foo1 text;
> begin
> execute
> 'select ARRAY( SELECT d.COLUMN_NAME::text from
> information_schema.constraint_table_usage c,
> information_schema.key_column_usage d '
> 'where c.constraint_name=d.constraint_name and c.table_name=d.table_name
> and c.table_schema='
> quote_literal(‘myschema')
> ' and c.table_schema=d.table_schema and c.constraint_name like '
> quote_literal('%_pkey%')
> ') ' into foo;
> raise notice '%', foo;
> foo1 :=ARRAY_TO_STRING(foo, ', ');
> raise notice '%', foo1;
> END;
> $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql ;
>

> The idea is that I want to slice and dice and not run the query x amount
> of times

I would suggest you learn to use the "format()" function, EXECUTE USING,​
and dollar quoting.

So, I copy-pasted your example and placed it into a DO block

The character before "myschema" came out as a back-tick instead of a
single-quote.

array_to_string has the signature (text[], text) but you've defined foo as
being just text. Changing that results in a query that executes - though
given my system doesn't have conforming data I get no results.

David J.