Re: Fetching Date and Timestamp values

From: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fetching Date and Timestamp values
Date: 2014-05-14 21:40:46
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Dev Kumkar [via PostgreSQL] <
ml-node+s1045698n5803957h91(at)n5(dot)nabble(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 12:36 AM, David Johnston <[hidden email]<http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5803957&i=0>
> > wrote:
>
>> ​You probably don't need to be as thorough as a full bug report - though
>> it doesn't hurt - but that is a good reference point.
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/bug-reporting.html
>>
>> At minimum I'm not sure how you'd expect a useful answer to a SQL-related
>> question without providing any SQL statements...
>>
>> You provided zero detail (no, an API description of a call does not
>> count) which means you didn't even try to figure things out or were too
>> lazy to supply whatever testing you attempted. Why would you expect others
>> to help when you don't show that you put forth any effort yourself? I was
>> tempted to just ignore the email but at least figured I could provide a
>> direct answer to your question.
>>
>> I was tempted to reply to the "Let me know..." question with a simple
>> "No" but at least this should get you started.
>>
>> FWIW I do not use the ODBC interface.
>>
>> David J.
>>

> My question was very basic here, wanted to check if SQL_C_CHAR is the
> correct way to fetch SQL_DATE or SQL_TIMESTAMP.
>
> Regards...

​And if you had actually asked that question initially I would have simply
moved on as I have no clue due to not using ODBC.

But all you did was put out a little bit of code and asked if anything was
obviously wrong. Unless you intended to test the observation and knowledge
capabilities of the readers of this list such a broad question is putting
more burden on the reader than is necessary and doesn't let people quickly
evaluate whether they can help.

All I wanted to do was avoid having you wait for hours just to get the same
response that I put forth - provide more detail.

David J.