Re: Alter view with dependence without drop view!

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "btober(at)computer(dot)org" <btober(at)broadstripe(dot)net>
Cc: Elson Vaz <elsonlei(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Alter view with dependence without drop view!
Date: 2018-01-30 17:48:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 8:34 AM, btober(at)computer(dot)org <btober(at)broadstripe(dot)net
> wrote:

> When this procedure got old, I started using a script created using
> pg_dump and pg_restore, as initially outlined here:

​Yeah, the short answer is PostgreSQL doesn't make it possible to edit
"middle" views without having the code on hand for all dependent views​ so
you can recreate them. You either maintain those views and order manually
or you rely on pg_dump to figure it out for you (the former, with version
control, is highly recommended).

I could see it being possible to program the server to be more helpful here
- by say allowing it to drop but remember view definitions and the
re-create them from the remembered versions by name - but no one has seen
the motivation to do so; I suspect partially in light of the fact that
"version control" is a recommended practice.

David J.