Re: returning does not act as expected after viewing documentation

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, lennartrolland(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: returning does not act as expected after viewing documentation
Date: 2019-09-23 22:17:58
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 2:45 PM PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> update batch_log
> set status=('in-progress'),
> updated_at=now()
> [...]
> returning id, batch_log.update_at
> ;
>

> column batch_log.update_at does not exist
> LINE 14: returning id, batch_log.update_at
> HINT: Perhaps you meant to reference the column "batch_log.updated_at".
>
> This does not make a whole lot of sense. It is recommending that I do what
> am doing!
>
> Also I don't see why this would fail.

Its informing you, apparently correctly, of a possible typo in your query.
You wrote: returning ... "batch_log.update_at" but the spelling for that
field is in past tense "batch_log.updated_at" - note the "d" on the end of
the word "update".

David J.