Re: No commit nor Rollback button

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>, legrand legrand <legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: No commit nor Rollback button
Date: 2017-10-16 18:30:18
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)yahoo(dot)com>
wrote:

> *You don't need buttons.*
>

> *Just go to *
> *File*
> * Preferences*
> * SQL Editor*
>
> *and change Auto commit? to False*
>
> * and Auto rollback? to False*
>
> *Or whatever you prefer.*
>
> *That is what those options are for!*
>
> *Or learn how to use a TRANSACTION in PostgreSQL.*
> *IE: *
> *BEGIN;*

​Personally, if I'm in a GUI I'd prefer buttons. They both allow one to
quickly see whether they are in a transaction or not (by greying out the
buttons when their use is not applicable) and provide a mouse user a very
quick way to commit/rollback the query they just executed via clicking the
"run query" button.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "Auto Commit/Rollback" other than
the buttons would only be meaningful when said option is disabled.

​David J.