Re: vacuumdb maintenance-db??

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuumdb maintenance-db??
Date: 2022-11-09 20:39:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 1:29 PM Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/app-vacuumdb.html
>

> --maintenance-db=*dbname*
>
> Specifies the name of the database to connect to *to discover which
> databases should be vacuumed*, when -a/--all is used. If not specified,
> the postgres database will be used, or if that does not exist, template1 will
> be used.
> *Presumably* this means that I can create a tiny database with one table
> that lists a set of databases. Or maybe not.
>
> Where is this documented?

It means that in order to query any data from a cluster you must already be
connected to a database. Any database. Though to actually vacuum a
database you must be connected specifically to it.

I have no clue what you are getting at with your presumption and what
specifically you are looking for documentation on. The few places that
deal with "whole cluster" type situations, such as here, document the need,
like you've quoted here, to connect to a database first before getting said
cluster-level information.

David J.