Re: Dealing with multiple currencies with the money type?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Connah <simon(dot)n(dot)connah(at)protonmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dealing with multiple currencies with the money type?
Date: 2021-04-18 15:21:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Sunday, April 18, 2021, Simon Connah <simon(dot)n(dot)connah(at)protonmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've read this page:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/datatype-money.html
>
> which seems to suggest that lc_monetary dictates what currency the
> database uses for the money type. But what if you want to have transactions
> in USD, GBP and EUR from a database with en_GB.UTF8 locale?
>
> Is this possible?

The money type should largely be avoided. I find it useful for parsing
external data but in the end store money using numeric. Add a currency
type field if you need to be explixit about what units the currency is in.

David J.