Re: Detecting renamed columns via pgouput in logical replication ?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andreas Andreakis <andreas(dot)andreakis(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Detecting renamed columns via pgouput in logical replication ?
Date: 2020-04-27 07:32:31
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-general

Please don’t top-post.

On Monday, April 27, 2020, Andreas Andreakis <andreas(dot)andreakis(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Thx for replying David.
>
> According to https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/protocol-logicalrep-
> message-formats.html it looks like certain schema information is embedded
> via pgoutput such as column names and types. However, if a new column name
> appears and a previous not, then it is currently not possible to
> differentiate if a column was renamed VS if a new column was added and an
> old dropped.

Correct. Maybe you want event triggers?

> There are additional schema changes that are currently not covered, such
> as changes in default values.

Correct

> Are there plans to add comprehensive schema change detection abilities via
> logical replication ? either by embedding more information into pgoutput or
> perhaps by embedding the schema DDLs ?

You could search the mailing list archives for recent discussions but given
the general lack fo response to your email I’d say probably not. Decent
odds if someone was they would have replied to your email.

David J.