Re: Looking for a doc section that presents the overload selection rules

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bryn Llewellyn <bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general list <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Looking for a doc section that presents the overload selection rules
Date: 2021-10-21 20:19:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday, October 21, 2021, Bryn Llewellyn <bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com> wrote:

> This causes the 42883 error, "function f(date) does not exist". I might've
> expected the system to have done an implicit conversion to "text" because
> this conversion is supported, thus:

Yes, implicit casting to text is bad.

> For some reason, the implicit conversion from "date" to "timestamptz" _is_
> considered to be preferable to the implicit conversion from "date" to plain
> "timestamp".
>
> Where, in the PG doc, can I find a statement of the rules that allow me to
> predict the outcome of my tests?

I do not believe the relevant metadata is maintained in the documentation.
You would have to, at minimum, consult the system catalogs; as documented
here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/typeconv-overview.html

Note that page does discuss the concept of “preference” that you’ve
observed.

David J.