Re: Precedence of standard comparison operators

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Precedence of standard comparison operators
Date: 2015-03-10 16:45:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 9:37 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Do we have consensus on doing this? Should we have the warning on
> > by default, or off?
>
> I vote for defaulting the warning to off. If that proves to be too
> problematic, I'd take that as a sign that this whole change is not as
> low-impact as we're hoping, and maybe consider a rethink.

​Do we want to have three states? On, Off, and Auto? We can then change
what Auto means in a point-release while letting people who have chosen On
or Off have their wish.

Auto could also consider some other data - like how long ago the database
was initialized​...

I would vote for Auto meaning On in the .0 release.

David J.