Re: Timestamp with vs without time zone.

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Timestamp with vs without time zone.
Date: 2021-09-21 19:58:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday, September 21, 2021, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at> wrote:

> These two values are completely indistinguishable. That's good for a
> timestamp (they are the same time after all). But they are not a
> "timestamp with time zone". The time zone is not part of the value but
> of the environment.

No, it’s inherent to the data type itself. The data type has an implied
time zone of UTC. That is a reasonable definition of “with” in my book.
If I see “20:05” I need to know the type of data to know whether its a time
or interval - values without types are incomplete. i.e., the type can
supply relevant context, like a reference time zone.

David J.