Re: superuser_reserved_connections and max_connections

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Travis Kirstine <tkirstine(at)firstbasesolutions(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: superuser_reserved_connections and max_connections
Date: 2016-06-24 16:26:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Friday, June 24, 2016, Travis Kirstine <tkirstine(at)firstbasesolutions(dot)com>
wrote:

> We were getting a lot of "max connections reached" errors and noticed that
> all our users are super users, after some digging I found the
>
> superuser_reserved_connections parameter was not set (default to 3) this
> lead to some additional questions:
>

> If all my users are superusers are they effectively limited to the number
> of connections defined in the
>
> superuser_reserved_connections parameter?
>

> Is there any significant difference between a superuser and non-superuser
> connection?
>

> Any additional insight would be great.

If max connections is 100 you get 97 concurrent connections. If all 97 are
in use you then get three more concurrent connections that only
accept superuser credentials.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-connection.html

David J.