Re: improve predefined roles documentation

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: improve predefined roles documentation
Date: 2024-06-13 20:05:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 12:48 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> I think we could improve matters by abandoning the table and instead
> documenting these roles more like we document GUCs, i.e., each one has a
> section below it where we can document it in as much detail as we want.

One of the main attributes for the GUCs is their category. If we want to
improve organization we'd need to assign categories first. We already
implicitly do so in the description section where we do group them together
and explain why - but it is all informal. But getting rid of those
groupings and descriptions and isolating each role so it can be linked to
more easily seems like a net loss in usability.

I'm against getting rid of the table. If we do add authoritative
subsection anchors we should just do like we do in System Catalogs and make
the existing table name values hyperlinks to those newly added anchors.
Breaking the one table up into multiple tables along category lines is
something to consider.

David J.