Re: Connections Increasing Slowly

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bee(dot)Lists" <bee(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Submit Postgresql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connections Increasing Slowly
Date: 2020-06-23 17:31:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 10:25 AM Bee.Lists <bee(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I have one simple query that’s in my activity (currently active) that’s in
> there 5 times. It should have closed very quickly, yet there’s 5 instances
> idling. I have two other queries, that should have operated quickly, then
> closed, but they are idling.

Queries don't idle. Only sessions can be idle - either normally or while
holding an open transaction. An idle session will have a "last executed
query" which may be confusing you. You should probably post the actual
results of pg_stat_activity along with your comments so as to help rule out
mis-identification.

David J.