Re: 19.2. File Locations doesn't tell you the file locations!

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: redirect(dot)null(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 19.2. File Locations doesn't tell you the file locations!
Date: 2017-10-10 14:46:44
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 3:06 AM, <redirect(dot)null(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/runtime-config-
> file-locations.html
>
> In the latest documentation &quot;Section 19.2. File Locations&quot; tells
> you how to
> set the locations of the various config files, but it doesn&#39;t tell you
> how
> to find out where they bloody well are in the first place! Which seems like
> a ridiculous ommission.
>
> If the section in the documentation titled &#39;File Locations&#39;
> isn&#39;t the
> appropriate place to document the locations of the config files, then I
> don&#39;t know where the hell is.

​The "installation instructions" covers where files are placed when
installing from source.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/install-procedure.html

If you are not installing from source them whomever compiled the package
you are installing will have specified where they are placing files and you
will need to inquire of them. The PostgreSQL docs don't cover file
locations in depth because each of the many platforms we support have their
own conventions.

David J.