Re: psql backward compatibility

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Stephen Haddock <haddock(dot)stephenm(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql backward compatibility
Date: 2020-11-18 16:36:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 9:30 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 11:05 -0500, Stephen Haddock wrote:
> > When upgrading an older version of postgres, version 8.4 for example, to
> a newer
> > version such as 9.6, does the data have to be migrated immediately?
>
> Since nobody mentioned that explicitly: do not upgrade to 9.6.
> If you upgrade, move to v13.

Not sure I'd suggest people upgrade to v13. If they are in a position to
do so and accept the risk involved with a first year point release great,
but I wouldn't make that assumption when making a blind suggestion. v12
would be the best from an efficiency/risk perspective at this moment in
time, IMO. v9.6 is only being supported for one more year would be the
reason to avoid choosing it.

David J.