Re: Transaction and SQL errors

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sebastien Flaesch <sebastien(dot)flaesch(at)4js(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transaction and SQL errors
Date: 2022-04-04 13:47:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 5:41 AM Sebastien Flaesch <sebastien(dot)flaesch(at)4js(dot)com>
wrote:

> I know savepoints are supported by PostgreSQL, but what about
> existing/legacy code that has tons of lines that rely on the behavior of
> other DB engines?
>
> Would you ask programmers to put a savepoint / release savepoint around
> each SQL statement inside a TX?

That does have the benefit of being a relatively straight-forward solution.

The answer to your original question is no. To my knowledge there is
presently no one who has broadcast their intent to add this feature, now or
in the foreseeable future.

Personally, I can see where it has significant value for psql in
interactive mode because people make typos. Application code doesn't.
That removes a whole class of problems where the feature provides benefit.

Whether "everybody is doing it" overcomes "but it's not a good thing to do"
remains to be seen but at least for now we are just saying no to an
automatic rollback setting.

David J.