Re: Doc about how to set max_wal_senders when setting minimal wal_level

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Li Japin <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc about how to set max_wal_senders when setting minimal wal_level
Date: 2022-03-07 21:54:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 11:05 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> But,
> anyway, IMHO, it is mere a performance tips that is not necessarily
> required in this section, or even in this documentaiotn. Addtion to
> that, if we write this for max_wal_senders, archive_mode will deserve
> the similar tips but I think it is too verbose. In short, I think I
> would not add that description at all.

I wrote it as a performance tip but it is documenting that when set to 0 no
features of the server require more information than is captured in the
minimal wal. That fact seems worthy of noting. Even at the cost of a bit
of verbosity. These features interact with each other and that interaction
should be adequately described. While subjective, this dynamic seems to
warrant inclusion.

David J.