Re: Bug in jsonb_path_exists (maybe _match) one-element scalar/variable jsonpath handling

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Bug List <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug in jsonb_path_exists (maybe _match) one-element scalar/variable jsonpath handling
Date: 2022-12-07 22:52:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 4:58 PM Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 3:18 PM Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Draft patch fixing the issue is attached. Let me know what you think
> > about this.
>
> Revised patch is attached, wrong pfree() is fixed. I was intended to
> backpatch it. But the behavior change makes me uneasy.
>
> select * from jsonb_path_query('{"a": 10}', '$ ? (@.a < $value)');
>
> Currently, this query generates an error because of missing "value"
> variable. The patch suppress this error. I'm not sure this error
> should be suppressed. Especially, I'm sure this should be
> backpatched.
>
> Should we fix only existence checking behaviour and let other cases
> throw an error? Thoughts?

I've attached some additional regression test changes to formally document
what it is we are affecting here. The "false" ones seems like it can
stand-in for all of the types left behind when the variable one got moved
to its own case.

The regressions.diffs file is the changes made by the 0001 patch.

Instead of making everything that today correctly produces a "could not
find jsonpath variable" error behave in a non-error way we need to make
_exists produce the exact same error. Aside from seemingly being correct
on its own merits, it is superior to turning what was a true outcome to a
false outcome, which is much more likely to go unnoticed and cause people
grief.

I feel like we are not adequately testing the "jspGetNext" true outcome of
the variable path but I still haven't fully gotten my head around the code.

The behavior of the introduced constant false jsonpath expression seems
internally consistent. Fixing the documentation to make it clear how such
an unusual but acceptable jsonpath expression behaves is material for a
separate patch.

David J.

Attachment Content-Type Size
regression.diffs application/octet-stream 1.8 KB
0000-v1-Add-regression-tests-demonstrating-scalar-jsonpath-b.patch application/octet-stream 4.8 KB