Re: Temporal tables as part of main release

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Anand Sowmithiran <anand(dot)sow(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Temporal tables as part of main release
Date: 2021-06-18 06:10:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday, June 17, 2021, Anand Sowmithiran <anand(dot)sow(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I am looking to use the temporal tables feature for keeping track of
> changes to my table data. As of now, there is an pgxn.org provided
> extension by which we could leverage this functionality, but *when
> Temporal tables will become part of the main Postgresql release *[and not
> as an extension] ? Even in the Postgresql 14 beta release notes it is not
> mentioned.

This email seems to provide a good starting point for reading up on the
past work on the feature.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/877c5179-d2f6-e222-717f-cc3970ae0d5b%40illuminatedcomputing.com

Its already too late for v14 since we are already in beta.

For a feature this complex its probably best to not have expectations of
that nature.

And, since its not in the commitfest app, and the last emails I found are
over a year old, it doesn’t seem to be a priority for anyone at this time.

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/33/

David J.