Re: BUG #17051: Incorrect params inferred on PREPARE

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "arthur(dot)mcgibbon(at)gmail(dot)com" <arthur(dot)mcgibbon(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #17051: Incorrect params inferred on PREPARE
Date: 2021-06-08 13:05:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> I'd hope that PostgreSQL would infer a "timestamp" type here or reply with
> an error that it couldn't infer the parameter type.
> Why does it default to type "text" and then effectively say the query is
> invalid?

Because no one has gotten a patch approved (not sure when/if there was a
last attempt for this specific situation) to make the system “smarter”.

> I can cast my parameter in the query to get around this but am submitting
> the bug because inferring "text" seems wrong.

Maybe, but the failure to be more intelligent in this area is not itself a
bug, and the rules for unknown literal resolution defaulting to text are
documented.

David J.