Re: PG_Dump Mixed case table names

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Doug Kneupper <kneupper(at)hal-pc(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG_Dump Mixed case table names
Date: 2015-10-09 17:22:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 12:56 PM, Doug Kneupper <kneupper(at)hal-pc(dot)org> wrote:

> I have looked on the internet for a solution to this. I have found a few.
> None of them worked.
> I'm using Windows7 and any combination of quotes (both single and double)
> do not work. I have also tried with the slash, that does not work either.
> I'm using 1.20 from the Pgadmin III download.

​You need to provide more detail - specifically, what it is you are doing.

Names, when quoted, always use double-quotes. For simple names the quotes
are optional but if omitted then the provided value is case-folded to lower
case. Thus: ColumnName => columnname.

In order to use special characters (spaces, symbols, leading digit) you
must use double-quotes.

When using double-quotes the case of the supplied value is preserved.
"ColumnName" => "ColumnName"​

The quotes are not part of the identifier but are only used during
parsing. Thus:

​ColumnName and "columnname"​ represent the same name.

David J.