Re: Best tools to monitor and fine tune postgres

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best tools to monitor and fine tune postgres
Date: 2021-01-15 21:00:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 1:53 PM Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com> wrote:

> This conversation doesn't really have anything to do with monitoring and
> fine-tuning PostgreSQL, at this point, does it? It might be appropriate to
> let go the meta-discussion when each individual person thinks it is
> appropriate to answer a question.

Actually, on the whole it is admirably on-topic as to how what seems like
such a simple question from a newcomer's perspective is perceived by those
on the list to whom that question is being posed. With a number of the
established, is a common question with answers available from sources other
than volunteers writing new emails or searching themselves for old replies.

On a thread of interest to newcomers it seems like a reasonably productive
spot to describe the reality, which is what is being done here - not
providing excuses. We aren't apologetic for these realities, while
understanding that improvement is possible (if hard to achieve - technical
and personal).

David J.