Re: Number of internal operations for a single DML/DDL

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nikhil Shetty <nikhil(dot)dba04(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Number of internal operations for a single DML/DDL
Date: 2021-03-18 06:09:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021, Nikhil Shetty <nikhil(dot)dba04(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I wanted to know how many internal operations postgres performs for a
> single DML or DDL statement.

Why?

> Apart from these what all operations does postgres do internally, I wanted
> an average estimated count as I know it would be difficult to get the
> details for each of the DML/DDL statements

Frankly, that number doesn’t exist; the nature of the input and the state
of the system directly impacts what any individual command does internally
and so one cannot derive a count, or even an understanding of what happens,
without knowledge of those two things. Which brings us again to “why?”.

David J.