Re: Why psql connection assumes default database name as the username

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Neha Khatri <nehakhatri5(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Hubert Lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>, "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why psql connection assumes default database name as the username
Date: 2017-03-24 01:58:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Neha Khatri <nehakhatri5(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I get that. So, in current database systems, how much does this assumption
> weigh? Or it would be more useful update the message from
>
> psql: FATAL: database "neha" does not exist //Ofcourse, it won't in
> most cases.

> psql: FATAL: database "neha" does not exist. Try connecting to an existing
> database or template database.

Introducing "template database" is probably going to cause more confusion,
not less.

<database "neha" does not exist, please provide the name of one that does
exist> - the last part seems somewhat self-evident ...

What you really want to say is:

FATAL: blah-blah-blah
HINT: While the database name argument is technically optional you probably
want to supply one seeing as how a database with your name, i.e., the
default, doesn't exist.

David J.