Re: Syntax error

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Connah <simon(dot)n(dot)connah(at)protonmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Syntax error
Date: 2022-10-31 01:30:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Sun, Oct 30, 2022 at 6:11 PM Simon Connah <simon(dot)n(dot)connah(at)protonmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> The SQL file and error can be found here:
>
> https://gist.github.com/simonconnah/eddeed2661949c90f34ff91a3db3191b

For something that trivial just include it in the body of the email, don't
make people go out to a static foreign site to know what you are talking
about. About the only good exception to this is a db-fiddle website where
you can actually execute the code being posted. (and you should still put
the main parts of the question in the email even then).

> I'm not sure why I'm getting the error message. It is something
> straightforward, but I'm stumped.
>
> If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

You invented some create function syntax the system has no clue what to do
with. There are only two mutually exclusive options for RETURNS, "rettype"
or the word "TABLE" then a table specification. You seem to somehow wish
to combine them, dropping the word TABLE.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createfunction.html

David J.