Re: BUG #14090: Some installations of Postgres 8 and 9 are configured to allow loading external scripting languages.

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: soufiane(dot)boussali(at)efet(dot)ac(dot)ma
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #14090: Some installations of Postgres 8 and 9 are configured to allow loading external scripting languages.
Date: 2016-04-18 19:08:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 4:38 AM, <soufiane(dot)boussali(at)efet(dot)ac(dot)ma> wrote:

> Bug reference: 14090
> Logged by: Soufiane Boussali
> Email address: soufiane(dot)boussali(at)efet(dot)ac(dot)ma
> PostgreSQL version: 9.5.2
> Operating system: Mac Os
> ​[...]​
>
> Some installations of Postgres 8 and 9 are configured to allow
> Most commonly this is Perl and Python. When enabled, command
> execution is possible on the host.
> To execute system commands, loading the "untrusted" version of the
> language is necessary.
> This requires a superuser. This is usually postgres. The execution
> should be platform-agnostic,
> and has been tested on OS X, Windows, and Linux.
>
> This module attempts to load Perl or Python to execute system
> commands. As this dynamically loads
> a scripting language to execute commands, it is not necessary to
> drop a file on the filesystem.

​That's why they are "untrusted"...and if being superuser is a requirement
then it isn't really an exploit now, is it?

For reference PostgreSQL version numbering requires two digits separate by
a period. Version 8 and version 9 are incomplete identifiers as they lack
the second digit. All versions beginning with 8 are also no longer
supported.

I could not follow the code so my only real guide for complaint/intent is
the description which I've quoted.

David J.