Re: CSVQL? CSV SQL? tab-separated table I/O? RENAME COLUMN

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Michaels <jmichae35(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CSVQL? CSV SQL? tab-separated table I/O? RENAME COLUMN
Date: 2018-05-02 21:49:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On the whole this email is very confusing/hard-to-follow...

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 2:29 PM, Jim Michaels <jmichae35(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> what do you think about foreign data wrappers getting CSV file table I/O?
> ​

​I don't understand the question...​

> I had thought that CSVQL db could be implemented completely with
> small amount of memory and file I/O, line at a time

​Do you no longer think that then?

I don't see PostgreSQL being all that open to implementing a second query
language beside SQL - and doing it functionally seems unlikely unless, like
with JSON, you are storing entire CSV files in a table field.​

> - the microsoft patented CSV would be required for implementation. it
> handles special data with commas and double-quotes in them

​If true this seems like a show-stopper to anything PostgreSQL would
implement

- biggest needed feature is an easier-to-use ALTER TABLE RENAME. a
> memorable alternative/alias would be simply RENAME COLUMN columnName
> TO newColumnName.

I don't see us adding new syntax for this...

David J.
​​