Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT doesn't work

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jenda Krynicky <Jenda(at)krynicky(dot)cz>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT doesn't work
Date: 2021-12-01 20:19:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 1:04 PM Jenda Krynicky <Jenda(at)krynicky(dot)cz> wrote:

> I did not create the table and I did not forget the quotes. I removed
> them in one of many attempts to appease PostgreSQL. I've already
> learned about those braindead rules.

Nothing is perfect, especially something that started decades ago and has
to be concerned about ongoing compatibility. The best part is you got some
clarification (that the RETURNS column is indeed the main cause of the
issue) quickly from two different people and eventually came across the
#variable_conflict hack that at least here is the least invasive solution
to what is arguably a deficiency in the interaction between SQL and
pl/pgsql. They happen, again nothing is perfect.

David J.