Re: About COPY command (and probably file fdw too)

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nicolas Paris <niparisco(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stefan Stefanov <stefanov(dot)sm(at)abv(dot)bg>, Forums postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: About COPY command (and probably file fdw too)
Date: 2015-05-21 21:19:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Nicolas Paris <niparisco(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To me this would be great. Why not the ability to restrict lines too
> COPY stafflist (userid, username, staffid)
> FROM 'myfile.txt'
> WITH (FORMAT text, DELIMITER E'\t', COLUMNS (1, 2, 7),
> LINES(2:1000,2000:3000), ENCODING 'windows-1250')
> => subset of full data.

​At some level of complexity it is questionable whether a feature belongs
in core that can exist outside of it.

While I have not yet personally used pgloader it seems to accomplish much
of what is being requested.

http://pgloader.io/index.html

COPY (and \copy) serves its purpose extremely well​

​but expects the user to deal with any customization needed either before
or after it has done its thing. I believe this is for the best since such
customizations and tools have no need to operate on the same release cycle
as the core PostgreSQL project.

David J.