Re: Fwd: [BUGS] BUG #14247: COMMENT is restored on wrong database

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: [BUGS] BUG #14247: COMMENT is restored on wrong database
Date: 2016-08-04 21:03:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 5:42 PM, David G. Johnston
> > <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > The fact that pg_dump is emitting COMMENT ON DATABASE at all is
> > fundamentally wrong given the existing division-of-labor decisions,
> > namely that pg_dump is responsible for objects within a database
> > not for database-level properties.
>
> > I think a while back somebody had the idea of making COMMENT ON
> > CURRENT_DATABASE or COMMENT ON CURRENT DATABASE work, which seems like
> > an elegant solution to me. Of course, I just work here.
>
> I'm fairly annoyed at David for having selectively quoted from private
> email in a public forum, but that was one of the points I touched on
> in material that he cut.

> The point I tried to make to him is that
> possibly COMMENT ON CURRENT DATABASE is a portion of a holistic solution,
> but it's only a portion.

I should have asked first and ​I'll take the heat for choosing to re-post
publicly but I kept this aspect of your recommendation precisely because
that was indeed your position.

TL>> It's entirely possible that some feature like COMMENT ON CURRENT
DATABASE
TL>> would be a necessary component of a holistic solution,​ [ various
other ON CURRENT commands elidded ]​

I'm all for an elegant solution here though at some point having a working
solution now beats waiting for someone to willingly dive more deeply into
pg_dump. I too seem to recall previous proposals for COMMON ON CURRENT
DATABASE yet here we are...

​David J.​