Re: pgsql: Fix search_path to a safe value during maintenance operations.

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <jdavis(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Fix search_path to a safe value during maintenance operations.
Date: 2023-06-13 21:00:32
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 1:55 PM Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:

> Perhaps the objections in that thread were because the proposal
> involved inferring the privilege to ANALYZE from other privileges,
> rather than having an explicit MAINTAIN privilege?

That is true; but it seems worth being explicit whether we expect the user
to only be able to run "ANALYZE" using defaults (like auto-analyze would
do) or if this additional capability is assumed to be part of the grant. I
do imagine you'd want to be able to set the statistic target in order to do
vacuum --analyze-in-stages with a non-superuser.

David J.