Re: Help to find-the-maximum-length-of-field-in-a-particular-column-in-all the tables

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: postgann2020 s <postgann2020(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help to find-the-maximum-length-of-field-in-a-particular-column-in-all the tables
Date: 2020-04-02 20:59:53
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Please just choose a single list to email.

On Thursday, April 2, 2020, postgann2020 s <postgann2020(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> Good Evening,
>
> We are trying to syncing the table field size with other db tables filed
> size.

I wouldn’t bother fiddling with arbitrary sizes, just remove,them.

> We have multiple tables in multiple schemas in DB. we are tyring to
> findout maximum size of each column in table for all tables and for all
> schemas in DB.

You need to decide whether you want to query table data or catalog (schema)
data.

> I have tried below query, but not able to get desired output.
>
> SELECT (select column_name from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS where
> table_name='building'), select max(length(select column_name from
> INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS where table_name='building')) from from
> INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS where table_name='building'
> group by column_name;

If you want to dynamically determine tables and columns while still
checking the actual table data you will need to create a dynamic sql
statement to query the actual table with the content for the dynamic schema
parts being populated by a query against information_schema or the
catalog. You’d need you something besdies pure sql (e.g., pl/pgsql) to do
this. You may find it easier to just brute force things.

David J.