Re: index question

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "drum(dot)lucas(at)gmail(dot)com" <drum(dot)lucas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: index question
Date: 2016-05-02 20:08:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 12:56 PM, drum(dot)lucas(at)gmail(dot)com <drum(dot)lucas(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

>> ​Index size and index usage are unrelated. Modifications to the index to
>> keep it in sync with the table do not count as "usage" - only reading it
>> for where clause use counts.​
>>

>> So only those with* 0 size*, should be deleted? Is that you're saying?

I'm not offering advice as to when to delete or not delete any particular

> Can you be more clear please?

Probably not :)

​You cannot make an inference about an index's usage by looking at its
size.​ Similarly, a seldom used but large index is not necessarily one you
want to remove if doing so causes a once-a-month process that usually take
seconds or minutes to now take hours.

David J.