Re: Regex help again (sorry, I am bad at these)

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Molnar <cmolnar65(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regex help again (sorry, I am bad at these)
Date: 2015-12-29 22:16:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Christopher Molnar <cmolnar65(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello all!
>>
>> Sorry to have to ask the experts here for some regex assistance again. I
>> am admittadly awful with these and could use some help.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> I have found over the years that it is far easier to write a short PHP or
> PERL program to do tasks like this. Much easier to debug and the speed
> improvement by using SQL is not important for 200,000 records.

​If all you end up doing is using regular expressions in Perl then I'm not
sure how that solves the "inexperienced at regular expressions"
problem...so what kind (if any) of non-regex based solution would​

​you implement to accomplish this goal. I'll admit that, being familiar
with regular expressions, I probably tend to resort to them by default now
when other solutions - if I stopped to think of them - would be less
matrix-y.

Obviously a simple find-replace is unlike to work well though some form of
"split-and-rearrange" could work - but URLs seem to want the flexibility
since defining split points in one seems challenging.

David J.