Re: schema agnostic functions in language sql

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: schema agnostic functions in language sql
Date: 2020-05-15 23:16:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 4:07 PM Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

I'm terribly sorry: I needed to add that plpgsql works without any
> knowledge of the schema, where as defining a plain sql functions does
> not work without schema qualification.

You need to distinguish between "works" as in "compiles" and "works" as in
"executes".

Yes, SQL and pl/pgsql have very different behaviors when it comes to
compilation and execution. In particular SQL performs parsing earlier
(during creation - just like it does for views) and links the textual query
to its parse result earlier. For pl/pgsql none of that happens until the
function is called. Because of this pl/pgsql allows for ambiguous sql text
to exist and be concretely resolved during execution while SQL does not.

David J.