Re: Update taking forever

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bianca Stephani <bianca(dot)stephani(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Update taking forever
Date: 2015-06-15 12:17:26
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Monday, June 15, 2015, Bianca Stephani <bianca(dot)stephani(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi everyone.
> I want to update the value of a column of 25 thousand rows and a sql
> update is taking forever (literally, more then one day). There's any other
> way so i can do that?

This would normally takes seconds (at most) if everything is working
properly, so yes. I would suspect your where clause is not using an index
to find those rows and there are a lot more than 25k rows on the table in
question. Show us schemas and explain output if you want a more definitive
answer.

Or you have locking issue...

David J.