Re: External psql editor

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: External psql editor
Date: 2022-04-29 20:33:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 1:17 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2022, Jan Wieck wrote:
>
> > Did you hit Enter after \e ?
>
> Jan,
>
> Yes. For example, I put a previous command at the prompt to be modified. It
> began with 'insert ...' so I added an initial \e to the command. psql told
> me that \einsert is not a valid command after I pressed the [Enter] key.

You type "insert", realize you want an editor for this, hit enter
(multi-line mode is psql), type \e, hit enter again, your editor appears
with "insert" already in place from the query buffer. Upon returning you
are given a new buffer with the contents of whatever you typed into the
editor pasted in.
David J.