Re: bloatcheck.sql

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: A System Admin <asysad(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bloatcheck.sql
Date: 2018-03-25 04:05:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Saturday, March 24, 2018, A System Admin <asysad(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hourly:
> REINDEX TABLE miq_queue
> REINDEX TABLE miq_workers
> REINDEX TABLE metrics_$(date -u +"%H" --date='+1 hours ' )
>
> Weekly:
> \timing
> VACUUM full verbose vms ;
> vacuum full verbose binary_blob_parts ;

While I don't really have positive advice I do think you need to continue
reading and asking questions since neither scheduled reindex nor scheduled
vacuum fulls should generally be a necessary component of a maintenance
routine.

Either per table or overall, more frequent vacuuming should be setup first
- frequent enough to either solve the supposed problem (I'm not sure you
really have one...) or until the vacuuming itself causes measurable pain.
Depending on usage patterns manual vacuum (not full) could be done after
bulk updates or deletes instead of waiting for the autovaccuum daemon to
kick in.

David J.