Re: Ambiguous description on new columns

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: kdg(dot)dev(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ambiguous description on new columns
Date: 2024-05-22 03:21:32
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 7:48 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I think the following small change will remove any ambiguity:
>
> BEFORE
> If no column list is specified, any columns added later are
> automatically replicated.
>
> SUGGESTION
> If no column list is specified, any columns added to the table later
> are automatically replicated.
>
> ~~

Extended Before:

Each publication can optionally specify which columns of each table are
replicated to subscribers. The table on the subscriber side must have at
least all the columns that are published. If no column list is specified,
then all columns on the publisher are replicated. See CREATE PUBLICATION
for details on the syntax.

The choice of columns can be based on behavioral or performance reasons.
However, do not rely on this feature for security: a malicious subscriber
is able to obtain data from columns that are not specifically published. If
security is a consideration, protections can be applied at the publisher
side.

If no column list is specified, any columns added later are automatically
replicated. This means that having a column list which names all columns is
not the same as having no column list at all.

I'd suggest:

Each publication can optionally specify which columns of each table are
replicated to subscribers. The table on the subscriber side must have at
least all the columns that are published. If no column list is specified,
then all columns on the publisher[, present and future,] are replicated.
See CREATE PUBLICATION for details on the syntax.

...security...

...delete the entire "ambiguous" paragraph...

David J.