max_worker_processes default not documented

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: max_worker_processes default not documented
Date: 2016-05-12 13:24:36
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thursday, May 12, 2016, Peter Eisentraut <
peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com');>> wrote:

> On 5/7/16 11:16 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
>
>> While this may be in the postgresql.conf it's absence in the docs is made
>> noticeable by the fact both the immediately preceding and subsequent items
>> in the 9.6 docs specify their default values. Furthermore,
>> max_parallel_degree defaults to 2 but the workers come from the pool sized
>> using max_worker_processes - provoking the very question as to how many is
>> 2 relative to the default pool size.
>>

> done

Thanks. Now for a related question. Are any of those workers permanently
in use? And what processes use them. I can think of checkpoint writer and
autovacuum off the top of my head that are potential candidates.

David J.